Friday, July 27, 2007

Who DOESN'T Want to Be a Superhero?


What with everyone off at Nerd Prom, I'm not sure how many people were able to break away to watch last night's premiere of Who Wants to be a Superhero?, but I know I'm happy to see the return of ham-bone acting and unfortunate Spandex.

I was only able to catch the last half of the show yesterday, but I was on time to see the elimination of Braid, who I guess was some sort of Medusa-style idea. From what I saw, I can't say I'm sorry to see her go, but it did make me think of something I realized during the first season. Setting aside the fact that I'm a geek and a show like this is basically candy-coated crack, I enjoy Superhero not in spite of its silliness and corniness, but because of it.

It's nice to see a reality show where the contestants are encouraged to explore the better parts of human nature. Back-stabbing, ego and selfishness are a quick way to get yourself the boot. Say what you will about the Redenbacherian levels of corn dished out by host Stan Lee, but I love hearing someone say, "Look, we can be better; we can be heroes everyday. Why don't we give it a shot?"

Schmaltzy? Sure. But I'm always amazed how much the possibility of elimination affects the contestants - a lot of times they get upset because they disappointed Stan and themselves. All these powers but they'd still couldn't save him! And I'd be lying if I said this show didn't make me and my wife misty more than once before it was through. Damn you, Lee!!!

Here's a quick look at who slipped into a bodysock this time around:


  • Braid: Eliminated!
  • Mr. Mitzvah: Kind of a jerk, right? And he lays it on kinda thick - I keep thinking of the anteater from the "Ant and the Aardvark" cartoons. At least he's in character.
  • Whip-snap: She's got a kind of Grace Jones vibe going, which I really dig. Hopefully she won't make any silly slip-ups that'll give her a too-early elimination like Monkey Woman (I was pulling for ya, MW!)
  • The Defuser: Ladies and gentlemen, my current favorite. He's a little too gung-ho, but he's a cop from Austin (represent!) and he's got a neato back-story. But dude, ratchet down the intensity - it's just changing a tire. Pretend you're playing disc golf or something. If Defuser is eliminated, though, it's all about this guy:
  • Mindset: He's chubby, bald and has a rubbery and expressive face, and it all adds up to awesome. Seriously, I can see him going all the way.
  • Hyper-strike: Huh - I didn’t know wearing a headband was a super-power.
  • Ms. Limelight: Well, she's cute, I guess. But mostly, there's a Limelight-shaped blank spot in my head. We'll see if she makes more of an impact in later episodes.
  • Basura: She’s gotta know her name is Spanish for "garbage," right? Let's see ... "turns trash into treasure and reshapes rubbish into robots." OK, creo que si.
  • Hygena: Maybe she can team up with Basura, a Fire and Ice sort of thing.
  • Parthenon: Seems like a decent enough guy, but just kinda bland. And you gotta be able to carry the skirt, and I'm not sure he can.

So, who ya got?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have yet to ever see this show but I'd like to watch it. When and where's it on? If you tell me on the TV I will destroy you.

Maxo said...

Ha! Now you're even burning yourself!

According to scifi.com, the show's on at 8 p.m. local time, Thursdays on SciFi. I'd check to be sure, though, because every time I've trusted the promos I've been screwed.

The first episode is also online at the channels' site, so that's how I'm going to catch what I missed.

Anonymous said...

Hm I usually end up working Thursday nights, poop.

Maxo said...

You work evenings? Huh, I didn't realize that.

Well, I was able to watch it online without any problems, and I think it was rerunning on Sunday, too. I'll track it down and let you know (maybe we can all get together one of these days to watch it).