Friday, June 20, 2008

What if ... DiDio didn't run DC?

So rumors have been flying all week about the possibility that Dan DiDio is in imminent danger of getting the ax. Comments made by legendary writer Chuck Dixon helped turn the usual smoldering speculation into a gossip-fueled brushfire, and I haven't seen anyone say that it's not a real possibility that DC's senior vice-president and executive editor could be fired.

I'm not going to get into the question of whether or not it would be a good thing to show DiDio the door (there's a tongue-twister for you). Editorially it's almost a matter of opinion reflecting whether or not you like the kind of stories DC's been putting out; in my opinion, that's been a mixed bag, at best. Financially ... well, it's hard to argue that Marvel isn't doing pretty well.

At the core of all the speculation, and any final decision the folks up in the Time-Warner Tower of Doom end up making, is this question: Where do we want DC to go?

Which is the same question I have as a reader and a fan of comics, and I'm curious to hear your opinions: If Dan DiDio were to be fired, what changes would you like to see take place at DC? What DiDio driven directions (again with the alliteration) would you like to see reversed? A lot of people seem to assume that things at ol' Detective Comics would automatically be better with his ouster, so how do we define "better?"

So tell me what you think: Where do you want DC to go?

6 comments:

Khairul H. said...

He promised after Infinite Crisis that the DC Universe wouldn't be so dark. He promised! Why DiDio? Why did you lie?

Seriously, that's the first thing I want. All this angst is sooo 1990s.

I'd also like their editors to, y'know, talk with each other so there wouldn't be so many continuity gaffes. Or is this all another reason to have yet another CRISIS? Superboy Punch indeed.

And apropos of nothing, why did Marvel score with Bucky's return but DC flopped with Jason Todd's resurrection?

Maxo said...

Yeah, I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of high body counts and blood splatter. I think it's fine for some comics — sometimes it's essential to the story that's being told — but it's not necessary for every single story. I don't see why DC can't do a better job of mixing it up.

And yeah, if readers can spot obvious continuity goofs you'd think they'd jump out at someone at DC.

Bucky worked thanks to Ed Brubaker, mostly, but I think it's one of the best examples you could've come up with to illustrate the difference between Marvel doing something right and DC doing it wrong.

Maxo said...

I should add, though, that DC also publishes some of my favorite monthly comics, and Marvel does a lot of things that drive me nuts.

Siskoid said...

Bucky was never unpopular. Jason Todd was voted out of his life by readers. There's your answer.

As for the rest, I think I'll answer on my own blog during the week. It's a big question I want to think on.

Siskoid said...

And... Done.

Maxo said...

That's an excellent breakdown, Siskoid — I'll say more over on your blog!