Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Pull List (8-27-08): Plugging into the Family Dynamic

Let's pretend I said something here, and then let's pretend I said ... to the list!

(Oh, wait ...)

Family Dynamic #1: I had no intention of buying Family Dynamic #1.

For one thing, I think comics geared specifically toward younger readers is a great idea, but I'm not a regular visitor to the Marvel Adventures or Johnny DC side of the street myself. I enjoy them when I come across 'em, but I don't make a point of seeking them out.

Plus, I'd never even heard of it. That's probably my fault, but I don't think you can say DC has really been pushing Family Dynamic very hard, either. And once I did try to find out a little more, the cover art hit me as flat and really video gamey (not a pun! OK ... a little bit of a pun). I had pretty much decided I was going to pass on this one.

Sometimes I'm a dumb-ass.

After poking around a little more I found this preview on writer J. Torres' blog and, well ... I kinda dug it. The inside art is much different than the cover art, less stylized and more detailed, with a fluidity that lends itself well to bursts of action. Torres' writing, especially the dialogue, also trots along at a nice pace and does a good job of introducing what seem to be interesting, likeable characters. Not bad when you consider that preview's just four pages long.

It's too early to tell yet, but the concept seems to give off the vibe of a family-friendly Noble Causes or Dynamo 5, not to mention the super-powered fun of Blue Beetle. And I love me some Blue Beetle. Unfortunately, the title was supposed to be a six-issue mini series but was cut down to a measly three thanks to low pre-orders. That's too bad, because Family Dynamic looks like a title that deserves at least a decent shot at finding an audience — give it a try and see what you think.


The rest ...

Ambush Bug: Year None #2 (of 6)

Blue Beetle #30

Daredevil #110


Maybe ...

Guerillas #1 (of 9): Between Army @ Love and Special Forces, I've got all the war comics I need; I don't have a burning desire for another story set in the Vietnam War (unless it features crazy-ass R. Lee Ermey). But dammit — monkeys!

Immortal Iron Fist #18: I'm still on the fence about Iron Fist. The writing has been getting fair reviews, but I'm still spoiled by Fraction's work on this title. Also, the artwork in the last issue left me drowsy and slightly irritated for some reason. If I'm just being cranky and am missing out, let me know in the comments.

Reign in Hell #2: Trying to drum up enthusiasm for this so-far lackluster spook-story and it's slightly ridiculous Sam-Spade-as-a-sorcerer back-up story? Now that's hell! (Thank you, I'll be here all week.)


Trading up ...
(Titles I either am, or will be, picking up in trade)

The Brave and The Bold Vol. 2: The Book of Destiny (hard cover): Fun stuff in the classic B&B style, though forking out the dough for a hard cover should depend on how much you're a fan of either writer Mark Waid or legendary artist George Perez.

Foundation Vol. 1 (trade paperback): An interesting take on the Nostradamus/Illuminati-style conspiracy angle, with solid action sequences and a plot that gets you there without making you feel like you've just been on the blunt end of a movie pitch.

Haunt of Horror: Lovecraft #3 (of 3): Adaptations of H.P. Lovecraft drawn by Richard Corben is one of those things that should be considered natural and right, like breathing and monster truck shows. I'm tempted every time I see it on the shelf but I'm trying to hold out for a collected edition.


Recommended ...

All Star Superman Vol. 1: The best Superman stories I've read in years, all being tied together in that quirky Grant Morrison way and supported by self-assured art from Frank Quitely. Get it.

Arsenic Lullaby: Pulp Edition: I cannot, in good conscience, give a general recommendation for this book. It's often disgusting, morally repugnant, and an assault on what most people would consider basic good taste. It also makes me laugh my ass off like nothing else. So if that sounds like your sort of thing, you definitely need to get this. But ... y'know ... don't blame me.

No comments: